Attention all SMPA students and alumni - you are invited to attend the third-annual GW Communications Career Expo! Last year, 30+ employers and over 200 attendees registered to attend the event to discuss current trends and employment in the fields of communications, media, and journalism. Meet with representatives from various communications organizations and alumni to discuss your career plans, network, or learn about internships and full-time jobs. Use the opportunity to find out more about companies you are considering or fields you might want to explore. This event is co-sponsored by the School of Media and Public Affairs, the Graduate School of Political Management, and the GW Career Center.
Join us Wednesday, October 12, in the Grand Ballroom and the Continental Ballroom of the Marvin Center (third floor). From 3:30pm-4:15pm, participate in an active Q and A session with industry experts with a variety of backgrounds... and then from 4:15-6:00 pm meet with employers and take advantage of multiple "resource tables" available to help you with everything from fellowships, to resume critique, to building your online brand.
Q and A panelists will include:
1. Bill Black, Co-Chair, Fleishman Hillard’ s global public affairs practice.
2. Catherine Lux Fry – Director of Career Services, American Society of Association Executives (ASAE)
3. Nick Fabiani (SMPA '10) APCO, a public affairs and strategic communication firm (he will briefly address how he was hired as a result of last year's expo!)
4. P. J. Crowley, SMPA Professor of Practice, former United States Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs
5. Mosheh Oinounou, (SMPA BA ’04), Senior Producer, CBS News Early Show, formerly of Fox News, NBC, and Bloomberg TV
6. Just Added! Kim Hunter, (SMPA BA '07, GSPM MA '08), US Press Secretary at the One Campaign, former Press Secretary for Senator Jim Webb and Assistant Press Secretary at the Democratic National Committee.
Employers signed up so far include the following, but more sign up every day:
1. 101 Magazine
2. Agence France-Presse
3. AKQA Inc
4. Alliance Francaise de Washington
5. APCO Worldwide
6. Beacon Hill Staffing
7. Burson Marsteller
8. CBS News
10. DC SmartStaff
11. DC Courier
12. Discovery Communications
13. Fox News Channel
14. Intermarket Inc
15. Kearns & West
16. Ogilvey Public Relations Worldwide
19. Scott Circle Communications
20. The Ad Council
21. Verve Wireless
Also, don't miss the chance to meet our Alumni Ambassadors, available to also answer questions about your career:
1. Nick Fabiani SMPA ’10, Project Assistant, APCO Worldwide
2. Carrie Giddins GSPM ‘01, GSPM Alumni President and GW Faculty Member
3. Jennifer Holtz, SMPA BA '01, is a communications attorney at Booz Allen Hamilton advising federal clients on broadband policy and emergency communications. She has experience working for the federal government, trade associations, and other companies.
4. Eric Federing, SMPA BA ’82, KPMG Executive Director, Business and Public Policy. He has served as a Communications Director in both the House and Senate, and managed press information centers for multiple Democratic National Conventions.
Plus, don't miss the opportunity to take advantage of over ten tables full of career resources available to you as a student at GW!
Entrance is free. Current students should register by logging into GWork and clicking on the "Events" tab... alumni should register via this link.
This is the biggest event of the year for everyone with an interest in communications. See you there!