THE GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY
Title: Director of Development, School of Media and Public Affairs
Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, The George Washington University
BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITY
The George Washington University Division of Development and Alumni Relations has a position opening available for a Director of Development, Major Gifts in the Columbian College of Arts & Sciences for the School of Media and Public Affairs. The incumbent in this position will participate in the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major gifts—particularly from corporate and foundation donors--for the School and in the support of the day-to-day Development management within this School.
Development work for the School of Media and Public Affairs will support the School's growth in curriculum, research, symposia, events and media productions.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Works with SMPA Director, Dean, and AVP of the Columbian College of Arts & Sciences Development Office, and faculty to identify priority needs for major gift support.
2. Works closely with University Wide Development staff in Foundation and Corporate Relations to prioritize fundraising objectives, identify prospects, develop proposals, and cultivate strategic relationships with funding sources.
3. Works with the SMPA Director, AVP of the Columbian College of Arts & Sciences Development Office, and the University Development Office to identify major gift prospects related to the Columbian College of Arts & Sciences.
4. Works with the SMPA Director, AVP of the Columbian College of Arts & Sciences Development Office and faculty to establish programs for the cultivation of identified major gift prospects, including visits by the SMPA Director or appropriate faculty, social events, advisory boards, and other efforts.
5. Makes personal calls, with the SMPA Director or others, to solicit major gifts for the Columbian College of Arts & Sciences
6. Works in conjunction with Alumni Relations staff on enhancing alumni relationships and loyalty to the School of Media and Public Affairs through specific events and activities.
7. Coordinates with other school-based and University wide Development Officers on prospect assignments and fund raising strategies.
Direct supervision is received from the AVP of Development of the Columbian College of Arts & Sciences. Functional supervision is received from the SMPA Director and Dean of the Columbian College of Arts & Sciences with regard to the priority needs for which support is to be solicited.
• A Bachelor’s degree in business administration, public relations, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of training and experience is necessary. An advanced degree is preferred.
• A minimum of six years of fund raising experience is preferred, with specific experience in major gifts and board development is necessary.
• A working knowledge of corporate and foundation funding sources and strong writing skills are preferred.
To apply, go here: https://www.gwu.jobs/applicants/jsp/shared/search/Search_css.jsp and search for job number #0602657.